Salangi ka saguli.
Palablaban yang pasibayu ing sikan at dangal na ning Kapampangan!

(Ignite the glory and honour of the Kapampangan once more!)

Luid ka uling Kapampangan ka!
The Sangleys of Pampanga
Have you ever wondered why there are tons of Filipinos with Chinese surnames? Probably not, because most of us know that at some point in our history, the Chinese were already here even before the archipelago was called the Philippines. The Filipino-Chinese are prominent because they are the forerunners in the fields of trade and industry which spanned their legacy from the pre-Hispanic Philippines to date.

There is no doubt the Chinese merchants reached the archipelago through sail since, nautically-speaking, the island of Luzon isn’t that far from mainland China. And if the Chinese merchants reached the islands through boats and ships, it is undeniable they could have navigated through rivers and creeks. 

The communities in the pre-Hispanic Pampanga thrived in the village of Betis which was

“…muy poblado de gente y e la más fortificado de toda la isla de Luzón… (…well-populated, the most fortified throughout the island of Luzon)”

as well as the settlements in Lubao certainly had Chinese merchants for trade interactions and exploration. A century and a half after the first contact of the Spaniards to the natives (1738 to be precise), the Chinese mestizos numbered up to 3480 in Pampanga. Then 24 years later, the Chinese migrated in “large flocks to Guagua” which was probably because they allied with the British forces, where they also “joined in their military campaigns, set fire to many towns, desecrated the churches, killed several Spaniards, and even tortured a few priests.” This happened in the aftermath of the British occupation of Manila in 1762-1764.

Another event the Spanish era, a mysterious disappearance of the Sangley colony established by the royal cedula in April 27, 1784 in the Pinac (Swamp) region of Candaba happened in 1850. The traces of this colony comprised of 200 Christian Chinese was nowhere to be found. Adding to that, there was an excavation in 1937 facilitated by Professor Henry Otley Beyer and Henry Costenoble. The excavation unearthed Chinese burial jars from Southern China at barrio Dolores in Hacienda Ramona, north of Porac. These burial jars were dated back from the 3rd century of the Christian era.

Today, the Chinese influence on Kapampangans lives on. There are certain words that were borrowed from their language. This is the result of interracial marriage and because of trade and commercial purposes. Family-related terms such as ápû 阿婆 (maternal grandmother), impû 外婆 (paternal grandmother), ingkung 外公 (paternal grandfather), atchi 阿姐 (eldest sister), koya 哥仔 (eldest brother) are loan words from the Cantonese and Hokkien languages which are widely used in Kapampangan households especially those of Chinese descent. 

The Sangleys of Pampanga

Have you ever wondered why there are tons of Filipinos with Chinese surnames? Probably not, because most of us know that at some point in our history, the Chinese were already here even before the archipelago was called the Philippines. The Filipino-Chinese are prominent because they are the forerunners in the fields of trade and industry which spanned their legacy from the pre-Hispanic Philippines to date.

There is no doubt the Chinese merchants reached the archipelago through sail since, nautically-speaking, the island of Luzon isn’t that far from mainland China. And if the Chinese merchants reached the islands through boats and ships, it is undeniable they could have navigated through rivers and creeks. 

The communities in the pre-Hispanic Pampanga thrived in the village of Betis which was

…muy poblado de gente y e la más fortificado de toda la isla de Luzón… (…well-populated, the most fortified throughout the island of Luzon)”

as well as the settlements in Lubao certainly had Chinese merchants for trade interactions and exploration. A century and a half after the first contact of the Spaniards to the natives (1738 to be precise), the Chinese mestizos numbered up to 3480 in Pampanga. Then 24 years later, the Chinese migrated in “large flocks to Guagua” which was probably because they allied with the British forces, where they also “joined in their military campaigns, set fire to many towns, desecrated the churches, killed several Spaniards, and even tortured a few priests.” This happened in the aftermath of the British occupation of Manila in 1762-1764.

Another event the Spanish era, a mysterious disappearance of the Sangley colony established by the royal cedula in April 27, 1784 in the Pinac (Swamp) region of Candaba happened in 1850. The traces of this colony comprised of 200 Christian Chinese was nowhere to be found. Adding to that, there was an excavation in 1937 facilitated by Professor Henry Otley Beyer and Henry Costenoble. The excavation unearthed Chinese burial jars from Southern China at barrio Dolores in Hacienda Ramona, north of Porac. These burial jars were dated back from the 3rd century of the Christian era.

Today, the Chinese influence on Kapampangans lives on. There are certain words that were borrowed from their language. This is the result of interracial marriage and because of trade and commercial purposes. Family-related terms such as ápû 阿婆 (maternal grandmother), impû 外婆 (paternal grandmother), ingkung 外公 (paternal grandfather), atchi 阿姐 (eldest sister), koya 哥仔 (eldest brother) are loan words from the Cantonese and Hokkien languages which are widely used in Kapampangan households especially those of Chinese descent. 

Magalang, Pampanga

"INDUNG MAGALANG

Telacad de ring Paring Agustinos carin Macapsa, 1605. Ing laguiu na meañgu qñg ugali rang magalang ding manucnangan carin. Pipaglabanan ding cawal nang Andres Malong at Castila, 1660. Milipat ya San Bartolome, 1734. Sinira ning Ilug Parua qng albug, Mayo, 1863. Ing cabalenan telacad neng pepasibayung Gobernadorcillo Pablo M. Luciano a canita aduang pulut metung a banua tua qñg Barrio San Pedro, Diciembre 13, 1863. Secupan ning Gobierno Revolucionario, 12 Junio, 1898-Nobiembre 5, 1899 at selisian ding Americano ding Japon, 3 Enero, 1942. Linaya ring Americano, 24 Enero, 1945. Miyabe qñg Republica Filipina, 4 Julio, 1946.

(INDUNG MAGALANG

Founded by the Augustinian Friars in Macapsa, 1605. The named derived from the courteous trait of the residents. The battlefield of the soldiers of Andres Malong and the Spaniards, 1660. Transferred to San Bartolome, 1734. Destroyed by the Parua River during the flood, May, 1863. The town’s center was reestablished by Governadorcillo Pablo M. Luciano twenty one years later in Barrio San Pedro, December 13, 1863. Occupied by the Revolutionary Government, 12 June, 1898-November 5, 1899 and won over by the Americans from the Japanese, 3 January, 1942. Emancipated by the Americans, 24 January, 1945. United with the Philippine Republic, 4 July, 1946.)

A short history of the town

Magalang’s same simply derived from the word ‘magalang’ which means ‘respectful’ which probably links it to the phrase told by Kapampangan folks to a scandalous or disrespectful person “Balamu ata e ka pa mekapangan pale Magalang? (It seems that you haven’t eaten Magalang rice yet?)” 

In the year 1853, the town of Magalang had barrios numbering up to 35, namely: Balitucan, Bical, Bucsit, Cabayungsarul, Darabulbul, Garlit, Guitan, Lambayung, Mabangal, Macaualu, Mangga, Matondo, Minano, Panaisan, Panalictican, Pandacaqui, Paruao, Pitabunan, Quematayandapu, San Agustin, San Antonio, San Ildefonso, San Jose, San Juan, San Martin, San Miguel, San Pedro, San Roque, Santa Rita, Sapangbalayan, Sapangbulu, Tacde, Tinabang, Tinang and Umbac.

However, due to the revision of borders, several barrios were transferred to neighboring towns such as Bucsit, Garlit and San Juan to Concepcion, Tarlac in 1876, then later on the barrios Bucsit and Garlit were ceded to the town of Murcia in neighboring province, Tarlac. As the years passed, barrios and sitios merged (Balud and Turu of San Ildefonso merged to create the barrio San Fulgencio), sitios were reestablished as barrios (sitio Batu into barrio La Peña) and transferred to other towns such as Mabalacat and Concepcion, Tarlac.

In September 22, 1858, the town of Magalang was flooded and Comandante Politico-Militar de Tarlac Sebastian Hernandez reported that the flood “seemed as if it were a lake.”

Blogger’s note

Despite Magalang’s rich and packed history, my friend and I had a hard time looking for residents who knew the town’s heritage and culture. We also went there on a Saturday so unfortunately, the municipio was closed. We also went to the Municipal Police Station for queries but… balu yu na. I asked help from my friend who was a resident of the town and referred us to Doris Manlapaz which we later on knew that she has a page about Magalang’s local history and heritage. 

We personally met Manlapaz on the same day and we saw her collection of antiques from photographs to rosaries to greeting cards to empty World War II bullets.

Our attention was taken by Manlapaz’s wide collection of Kapampangan laureate Vedasto David Ocampo’s literary pieces, from poems to zarzuela and a Kapampangan dictionary written in Spanish.

People such as Doris Manlapaz are to be recognized and celebrated because people such as her give not only their time but their whole lives in preserving and cultivating the valuable pieces of history and heritage that are disregarded and neglected by the mass, their passion should be given its rightful limelight.

A 1950s French sports documentary of the traditional sword fighting of the Kapampangans in Capas, Tarlac. It features the fight of two elderly Kapampangans aged 50 and 77 years old playing 'Arnis de Mano' known in Kapampangan by various names such as “Talibung at Sundang”, “Tálibúngan”, “Kálisan”, “Pámagkalikáli”, and “Sinauálî”.

It was indicated in the 1663 book Labor evangelica, ministerios apostólicos de los obreros de la Compañia de Iesus, fundacion y progressos de su provincia en las islas Filipinas (Evangelic labor, apostolic ministries of the workers of the Society of Jesus, foundation and progress of the provinces in the Philippines) by Francisco Colin, a Jesuit missionary, that Kapampangans originated from Sumatra. 

It was indicated that a Pampango (Kapampangan) found a community whose “people [of Sumatra] spoke excellent Pampango, and wore the old time dress of the Pampangos.” 

When he asked their elders, the latter responded: “You [Pampangos] are descendants of the lost people who left here in past times to settle in other lands, and were never heard of again.”

However, the linking of this ancestral Kapampangan community to the present Kapampangans has been discredited by linguists and historians from the Philippines and by those who went to Sumatra and weren’t able to find the aforementioned community.

Anonymous asked:
Minsan naramdaman mo ba na may kulang parin sayo? na masaya ka nga ba talaga?

theheadsup asked:
Hi, have any information on Tarik Sulayman?

If you are pertaining to the ‘capitan moro' as to what the Spanish invaders called upon, he was the first to defend the Kingdom of Luzon but was killed in action in the battle for freedom against the Spanish crown under Martin de Goiti on 24 May 1571, this was the Battle of Bangkusay. 

Henson addressed him as Rajah Suleiman III of Manila, other historians claimed that his name was Tarik Suliman/Sulayman. Adding to that, according to the seminar I attended last June 2013 which is in depth of this Kapampangan hero’s identity, he was nicknamed ‘Bambalito’.

Quoting from Henson’s The Province of Pampanga and Its Towns (A.D. 1300-1965) Fourth Revised Edition:

"Raja Soliman, then, could not be other else than Suleiman II who survived his son Suleiman III, nephew of Matanda and Lakandula, Suleiman III the who was supposedly killed in the battle of Bangkusay in May 24, 1571, according to historians."

The son of Don Honorio Ventura of Bacolor, Valentin Ventura, was the one who financed the publication of one of Rizal’s books, the ‘El Filibusterismo’; Maximo Viola of San Miguel de Mayumo of Bulacan, funded the publication of ‘Noli Me Tangere’. Rizal lived with these two people who helped the hero in funding his two books that contributed the revolutionary history of the archipelago.

A French writer, J. Mallat, wrote in his book ‘Les Philippines; histoire, géographie, moeurs, agriculture, industrie et commerce des colonies espagnoles dans l’Océanie (1846)’ described the province of Pampanga as the richest and most beautiful in the Philippines, thus, has been dubbed as ‘New Castille’.